10/15/2013

Why every artist should barter

You need head-shots for your website, your friend wants a song at their wedding. Trade your skills and you both end up happy!


Starting up a crafty business can be tough heck even in the middle of growing your empire of crafty goodness money can get tight.  I know it, you know it so what to do?


Well sure you can sell more to make some extra cash, or you can tighten in and buckle down and try to do everything else yourself or you can.....

Trade (or in other words Barter!) your skills for someone else's.


I have a wise friend who years ago told me if you don't have the cash for something you can always ask if that person is up for a trade for something of equal value that you can offer.  At the time I took that information but never really thought that what I did (painting) was worth of value to other people.  Oh ye of little faith!

Fast forward to the present day and it has finally sunk in that I do have things/skills/time I can offer to trade or barter with someone.  For example say you have a good friend that enjoys to sew you could ask her if she would be willing to make your daughter a skirt in exchange for you to make her a batch of homemade candles that they can give out as gifts for Christmas.  

Now it doesn't have to be what your job or crafty business is it just needs to be something that you are good at/ like to do/ want to do/ have to offer.  I also have traded lots of times over craft and sewing supplies.  I have tons (I mean tons) of craft supplies and I finally got to the point in my life where I dont have the time or the passion anymore to do ALL the different crafts I once did.  So what is a girl to do with all those craft supplies?  I approached friends/family/other crafters in my crafty circle who I knew would possibly be interested and we made each other  offers.  I also always encouraged my friends to let other friends know if they thought it would be of interest to them.  

Another scenario is at craft shows, a few years ago I did lots of trades at the shows.  While I think they were a little dormant for awhile I think trades between artist at shows are back up and booming.  So if you are a vendor at a show walk the show before the doors open (business cards in hand) and customers start streaming in.  If you see a booth that you are interested in just ask the artist if they are interested in trading?  If they say no, no biggie (it didnt physically hurt to ask right?!?!) but if they say maybe give them your card show them/describe where your booth is and tell them to stop on by sometime during or after the show and see if they are interested in anything you have for a trade.  I have gotten all of (or most) of my christmas shopping in years past doing this.

So what are you waiting for?  You have great things to offer others, you just need to speak up and ask!  

Until we meet again folks, get crafting!



0 comments:

Post a Comment